QUESTION: Hello Mr. Selahattin. We heard about your reputation as a successful lawyer and came to visit you. First of all, we thank you very much for your hospitality. Your law office located in Torun Center Garden Office is really beautiful. I guess you’ve been here a long time. I would like to start our interview by getting to know you first. How would you briefly describe yourself?
- I was born in Şanlıurfa in 1985. I completed my primary, secondary and high school education in Şanlıurfa. Afterwards, I graduated from Marmara University Faculty of Law and Hasan Kalyoncu University Sports Law Specialization respectively. I completed my master’s degree in Health Law at Özyeğin University. As a hobby, I graduated from Anadolu University Radio and Television undergraduate program. I am currently the owner of Par Law and Mediation Office. In addition to Par Law Firm, I am also the manager and owner of Par Health, Par Insurance, Par Sports and Parlegal companies. In terms of non-governmental organizations, I am the Founding Chairman of İNTİSAD, the International Businessmen Association. Therefore, I am the owner of a network that provides a wide range of services from international trade to health tourism, from sports to consultancy and insurance sector.
QUESTION: What would you like to say about the establishment of Par Law and Mediation Office and its areas of expertise, Mr. Selahattin?
- I established the first office of Par Hukuk in 2010 on Ortaklar Street in Mecidiyeköy. I worked day and night to become a successful lawyer, built a good team and turned my office into a professional law firm that can provide services in every field of expertise. We moved to our new place when the construction of Torun Center was completed in 2019. To briefly summarize, Par Hukuk is a successful law firm that has been operating for 14 years.
QUESTION: Can we get information about the areas of expertise of Par Law and Mediation Office? When you look at the cases received in 2023, can you give a brief analysis of which branch of law was most concentrated?
- Par Law and Mediation Office’s areas of expertise are Health Law, Commercial Law, International Trade Law… And of course, Enforcement, Labor, Family and Criminal Law, which are in every law firm. When we analyze the year 2023, I can make the following determinations. In 2023, there was a significant increase in divorce cases arising from the pandemic. There were many cases involving criminal law arising from increasing economic difficulties. Again, there was a significant increase in the number of commercial lawsuits caused by the economic crisis.
QUESTION: Mr. Selahattin, speaking of commercial cases, are you also interested in concordat and bankruptcy postponement cases? I think this is one of the most talked about topics lately…
- Our Par Law and Mediation office has been dealing with bankruptcy postponement, concordat and bankruptcy files since 2013. This year, unfortunately, we supported many companies that were on the verge of bankruptcy. We are a highly preferred office in this regard.
QUESTION: When your clients have a dispute, can they receive mediation services in addition to litigation?
- Par Law and Mediation Office, as its name suggests, is also a mediation office. I am also a lawyer who has completed mediation training. Besides me, we have many experienced mediators in our team. Of course, there are our clients who prefer to try mediation before litigation. Because litigation is longer and more costly. At the same time, it is a more difficult method to achieve results for both parties. Mediation is preferred because it can be resolved in a short time and is a more economical way. The parties to the case can reach the result they want in a short time.
QUESTION: Is mediation possible after the litigation method is chosen, Mr. Selahattin, or does it have to be chosen from the beginning?
- Parties may apply to a mediator after the lawsuit is filed, even without proposing a judge. In this case, the mediation process begins when the parties either record their statements at the hearing or notify the court in writing outside the hearing that they have agreed to apply to a mediator.
QUESTION: When you look at your clients’ demands, which do they prefer, Mr. Selahattin, litigation or mediation?
- I can say that there is a situation parallel to the rate in Turkey. The majority of them prefer litigation. However, some of our clients prefer reconciliation and we immediately initiate mediation procedures.
QUESTION: Mr. Selahattin, the number of people who have established their own companies is increasing day by day. As an experienced lawyer, what advice would you give to people who have established a new company? What should they do to avoid legal problems or to solve them in the best way?
- There is a basic rule accepted worldwide. If you are in business, no matter what sector you are in, 2 people are very, very important for the future of that company. Firstly, you must have a good financial advisor, and secondly, you must have an experienced lawyer. Because financial data and legal balances are very important in trade. For this reason, it is essential for every person interested in business to get consultancy from a law firm as soon as they establish their company or even before establishing it.
QUESTION: Finally, we have entered a new year, can we learn your expectations from 2024?
- 2023 has been a difficult year for both our country and the world. The earthquake that took place in February made us all very sad. The news of martyrs we heard recently also saddened our entire nation. I am someone who believes that our country and our nation are very strong and therefore can overcome all difficulties. I hope that we will become a much stronger country economically in 2024. Unfortunately, the issue that challenges our people the most right now is the economy and inflation. As a result, I hope that 2024 will be a year in which everyone is healthy, peaceful and successful, and I congratulate the entire VİP TURKEY team on their new year and wish them continued success.